Looking for an effective keyword strategy that’ll boost your SEO rankings? In this article, you’ll learn how competitive keyword analysis works, how to analyze the competition for your dental practice, and come up with a keyword strategy that will surely help you get more patients to your clinic!
If you’re going to keep on guessing the keyword that your audience is searching for without checking out how other people are building their dental website, you are just wasting your time and effort to nothing. That’s why doing a keyword competitive analysis is one of the strategies that you must be working on if you want to improve your page’s SEO.
But before we go on with the steps on how to do keyword analysis, here’s a short background about it.
What does competitive keyword analysis mean?
Competitive Keyword Analysis refers to the process of doing keyword research based on your competitors’ pages. This step is very useful especially if you are trying to improve your dental page’s search engine optimization as it gives you an idea of what keywords your dental competitors are mostly using, how often it is being used, the page category that you are competing with, etc.
It is done by looking at the competitive keywords which are the words or phrases that are used by your competitors in the dental industry to get high rankings on search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. Learning how to do a competitive keyword analysis is one of the first things that you should do when building a website or creating an advertisement.
Need help doing competitive keyword analysis for your dentist website?
Why competitive keyword analysis is important for dental clinics?
Doing keyword analysis before you actually implement them is a must for every dental site because it gives you a wider perspective towards your target audience’s intention when looking up specific dental services (i.e. root canal, dental bonding, dentures, full mouth dental implants, etc.). It also serves as a guide if you are just starting to build your dentist website or ad, and helps you decide which keyword is more likely to drive a lot of traffic to your site and which doesn’t.
Here are some of the advantages of doing competitive analysis:
- It helps you determine how websites are successfully ranking using a specific keyword.
- It gives you an opportunity to fill in the gap that is missing from your competitors.
- It allows you to understand what keywords your competitors are ranking for and how to use them to your advantage.
- It plays a significant role in your organic ranking.
Analyzing your competitor’s pages can be time-consuming. Our team is here to help.
How to do competitive dental keyword analysis
If you are wondering where to start doing keyword analysis, here’s what you should do:
- Start by jotting down all the phrases you’d like to use on your website.
- After coming up with a list, you may start your keyword research. It can be done manually or with the use of keyword research tools.
- If you want to do the research manually, you have to type the term into a search engine.
- Then, observe how they are writing the title, and what the content of their pages are all about.
- Examine which keywords your competitors are primarily targeting.
You can see how frequently other dental websites are using the keyword by pressing CTRL +F, which will give you an idea of how many times you should use the word or phrase. Also, you have to be mindful when using keywords because if not done right, it may be under-or over-optimized.
But if you want to do your keyword research the other way around, here are some of the free tools that you can use:
Tools for keyword research
- Keywords Surfer is one of the best keyword research tools out there because it has a lot of features such as giving you an idea of keywords that gets high search volume every month, helping you find keyword ideas that are relevant to the term you are going for, providing a set of guidelines based on the pages of your online competitors, and more. All of that for free! Like in this example, it shows that the average number of monthly searches for the tern “dental clinics” is 40,500 in the U.S. and the keywords that are getting high search volumes if you are going for the term dental clinics are: “dental near me”, “ dentist near me”, “dentist”, “dentists”, “dental”, “dentistry”, etc.
- Keywords Everywhere is another browser extension that is helpful when doing competitive keyword analysis as it shows search terms that other people are also searching for. It also shows you a graph of the monthly search volume over the years, website traffic, etc. This is also free and compatible with Google Chrome and Firefox.Here’s an example of the keyword research result after using Keywords Everywhere:
- Page Optimizer Pro is another tool that can be used so that your dental pages are properly optimized based on Google’s algorithm. It can be used by professionals or even by those who just started working on optimizing your page. All you have to do is indicate the dental keywords you are planning to use and it’ll provide you LSI terms, tags that you should use on the header section, the number of times you should use a specific term, and more.
- Google Ads Keyword Planner –If you already have an existing Google Ads account for your dental practice, you can also do keyword research with the help of a Keyword Planner. Here’s what you have to do:
- Click “Tools and Settings”
- Under the planning section, select “Keyword Planner”
- If you want to get ideas on the keywords you are aiming to use, click “Discover new keywords”, and if you want to know the metrics and predictions on the performance of the keyword you are going for, click “Get search volume and forecasts.”
- Then, it’ll show you a line graph along with the list of words that has low, medium, high search volumes, and level of competition. Something that looks like this one:
Not sure which of these tools are suitable for your dental website?
Tips and tricks in doing keyword analysis
- Go to the bottom part of the Google search results page, it’ll show you terms that people are also searching for when searching for the keywords you are going for
- Try looking at Google’s autocomplete suggestions. If you already have an initial idea to use for your dental clinic’s website or advertisement but are still in doubt if you are going to use it, Google suggestions can help! It generates the common queries that go along with your search term.
- Use keyword variations. Don’t stick to one variation of keywords. Explore other terms that are relevant to what you are going for. For example, instead of simply going for “Dentists near me” try using “Dental clinics near me.”
If you want to rank high or appear on the first page of Google Search Results, you have to use the right keywords. But, to find the right keywords for your dental clinic, you have to analyze your competitors first. Coming up with the right keywords can be time-consuming but when done right, the results will pay off to your dental marketing campaign.